Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ionian winter fashion

Not that I can speak universally of course but this was my spin on the weather, which was cold but very sunny...



Note the special "lama hat" (Made in Tibet!) that is ver-ry warm. Large decorative black flower on the side makes a statement: either it looks like one earmuff has fallen off or simply that your head is tilted charmingly to one side because of the weight.


And, of course, the faux UGG boots (pictured in previous post) that can be worn with everything including pajamas! (am wearing special fingerless gloves (see previous post) as they keep hands very hot, once they've started working, all the while allowing you to actually use your fingers while getting all the benefits of "wearing" gloves!)

T thinks I look like a large cookie.

(In fact, it gave him a great idea! He's baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies this morning! YAY!)

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate chip cookies

This recipe started out as an accident, when T initially crossed two recipes, side by side in the Fanny Farmer cook book. This is (sort of) the new "working" version:

1/2 lb (200-230 g -ish) butter
1/2 c (100 g) dark brown sugar
1/2 c (100 g) sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla essence
1 c (200 g) flour
1/2 c (100 g) oatmeal (uncooked)
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/4 c (50 g) finely chopped walnuts
1 c (1/4 L, 6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 handful of raisins (may have been soaked in something good- like whiskey! or something good for you like orange juice... DRAIN before adding.)

Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C) and grease cookie sheets.
Cream butter and sugars together til light and smooth, then beat in egg and add vanilla.
Mix dry ingredients together (not nuts or chocolate chips) and add to the first mixture. (if too dry add a bit of plain yogurt)

Stir in nuts, chocolate chips and raisins. Drop by teaspoonfuls on the cookie sheets (leave a little space they spread a bit and rise), and bake for 8 to 10 minutes til lightly browned. (closer to 8 they're soft and chewy, 10 they're soft and crisp at the same time.)





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. Well you look a lot better than I do in my winter fashion Jes, which consists of jogging bottoms and very old fleece tops...only changing into jeans and a newer fleece top to go into Milas.

    Cookies look good...think I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! Well this evening was going to be more sorting of clothes into piles of Charity, Keep or Toss, but I just might need to give these a whirl instead!
    AND I have some leftover Christmas raisins soaking in Bacardi, that'll do nicely!

    Now, to find a place where the butter will come to *room* temperature. I'm guessing directly in front of the radiator. Since at the moment, THIS room temperature means I could pound nails into the wall with said butter.

    I LOVE the faux Uggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing I did when I opened this post was giggle. I love that photo of you, so happy & fun! (My husband thinks I'm nuts...always laughing at the laptop)

    So much fun!

    I will definitely give this recipe a whirl but maybe soaking the raisins in OJ since the kids might take to whiskey. lol...

    Freezing over here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ayak,

    This is me DRESSED UP!

    I have no more jogging bottoms that are remotely presentable (they now belong to the cat's bed as they holes became bigger than the pants)

    It's odd how one goes from being perhaps curious and semi-involved in fashion to demented crazed layer cake of odd raiment when the temps drop!


    Dear Kitty,

    I NEVER give away old clothes in the winter time. (who knows when those odd reindeer sweaters and tartan skirts could be better used piled up on top of one on the bed when the electricity goes!)

    ooo. rum and raisin... i make a really super cheesecake with rum and raisins... T will be so pleased!

    Dear Cheryl,

    Yes. OJ-ed raisins are in order for the minors.

    Yes the picture is fun. I almost fell into the pond however as immediately after this shot my other food slipped off the rock I was standing on. (If you think you giggled, you should have heard the guffaws from the camera man.

    I believe we had what we call "make-up cookies" ....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Apture